By Sandy Wilson, Executive Vice President, Managing Director of Sales, BHS Riverdale & Harlem
If you’re like me, after long months of being cooped up at home during the pandemic, there is a tremendous pent-up urge to venture close by to experience the natural beauty and glorious wonder of spring in New York. Wave Hill in Riverdale, New York will meet that need.
A 19th-century estate now owned by New York City, Wave Hill is open to all. A short 25-minute trip from Manhattan is all that it takes to reach a glorious park comprising over 4,000 varieties of shrubs, flowering trees, and herbaceous plants, spread over 28 glorious acres and an additional eight acres of woodland retreat. This is New York’s only public garden still practicing extensive horticultural craftsmanship and unique design approaches, showing off the breathtaking natural beauty that is right in our backyard. It is a wonder to visit!
History buffs will also appreciate that Teddy Roosevelt used Wave Hill as his personal garden retreat, and an older Mark Twain spent peaceful days enjoying this idyllic location.
I hope you too are able to take advantage of this breathtaking urban oasis, which also hosts performances, workshops, talks,
and contemporary art exhibitions.
Before you go, keep in mind that some new guidelines have been established since the pandemic. Some of them are:
1. Admission tickets must be reserved in advance. Reserve online or call 718-549-3200.
2. Hours of operation are Tuesday through Sunday, 10 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Admission is free on Thursdays.
3. You must wear a face covering when entering and exiting the garden and inside any of the buildings, but can remove them on the grounds if away from others.
4. There is no shuttle service at this time to and from the #1 train, or the Metro North Station. This is to meet social distancing requirements.
5. There is no onsite parking as the visitor parking lot is being renovated. The Riverdale Park lot is available, first-come, first-served.
6. Wave Hill House is open 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. The Perkins Visitor Center is open 10:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., and the Conservatory is open from 1:00 p.m. – 4 p.m.
For additional information and travel recommendations, please visit the Wave Hill website. Enjoy your visit!